Pages

Monday, May 06, 2013

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

So here it is. Permanently etched on the internet. My shame and hopefully, eventually, my triumph. I started this blog a few days ago to get me out of my slump. I did not feel motivated for anything, I felt hopeless, and I was fat. The only thing I still am out of those is fat. Well, maybe I'm not fat, but I have more than enough on me to make my body uncomfortable.

I am still waiting on my grades for this past term to be posted, so I am still terrified and there is nothing more I can do to influence that situation. I did, however, take some time to sleep a few days away and pamper myself with a long bubble bath and finish a book I had been reading. I felt like things were starting to turn around after that.

I've got a loose plan of action for dropping off resumes more vigorously this week. Hopefully I'll have a lucrative and stress-free summer before returning to classes in the fall.

The other thing that I need to work on is my physical self. I really am about 20 or 25 pounds overweight, and I know for a fact that I have gained weight over the school year because pants which used to be loose now have me spilling over them. This is my beginning... Read on for all the gruesome details (and photos).


The Good

I like being outdoors. I like how I feel after a good run or workout session. I know I can loose weight, as I have done so in the past. I know that I can conquer sugar and over-eating. I know that I have the power within me to do this. I know that I still have a lot of the muscle that I had built up before exams. I do have certain goals in mind, and these boil down to being healthier. More specifically, I want to lower my body fat percentage to a point where I feel I look good in my jeans. Simple. Attainable. How will I measure success along the way? Regular exercise, healthy eating, and healthy portions of food are all check marks along the way. Every time I do this for myself I am hitting a goal.

The Bad

My measurements, as of this morning, are as follows;
Height: ~164 cm or ~5 ft 4.5 inches
Weight: 138.6 lbs
Waist circumference: 37.5 inches at belly button, 38.5 inches at pooch
Body Fat Percentage: ~34% (could be inaccurate, as it was self-measured, but will at least be consistent). Has increased slightly since I last checked, so maybe I don't have as much muscle left as I thought.
BMI (body mass index) measurement: 23.4 Normal
BMR (basal metabolic rate): 1430 calories/day to simply exist; 1283 taking fat percentage into account.
Metabolic rate: moderately active, exercising 3-5 times per week, my daily calorie burn is about 2100 calories/day.

The Ugly

Immortalized forever on the internet, my belly. I cannot believe I am posting this, and I am thankful these photos are small so I don't feel as bad about how it looks. Hopefully this is the motivation and the push I need to work consistently at reducing my body fat percentage, and eventually maintaining it at a healthy level. I've also included a photo with the jeans I mentioned at the beginning. When I bought them they were slightly tight, only a mini muffin top. Now, however, I'm quite uncomfortable sitting in them as my muffin top becomes spare tire in my lap. But, they make my ass look good and I do not have the money to buy a new wardrobe. I'd rather do the work to loose the extra fat. 


Wish me luck! And please join me on this journey - we'll all do better if we're working together.